As promised, this is a post on rules of the game =D
Types of Cards
Character – Appearing character from various works
Event – Incidents or phenomenon that have occurred in the original media. Possess instant use effects
Climax – Memorable scenes from the original media. At the right time, it can shift the tide of the game
- Level & CostLocated on the top left hand corner of Character and Event cards, it is the requirement needed to play the card. Only after the requirements are fulfilled, then the card can be played.
The Level indicates the Level you must be at before this card can be played. Level 0s can be played at any time, Level 1s only during Level 1 and above, Level 2 for Level 2 and above and Level 3 only at Level 3.
The Cost indicates the number of cards that must be “paid” from Stock. To play the card, you need to place the exact number of cards indicated from your Stock to your Waiting Room. If you do not have enough Stock, you cannot play the card.
The different colours indicate the colour you need in your Clock or Level zones in order to play this card. The colours provided by each card are identified by the bottom bar.
- Counter/Clock Icon => Located underneath the Level icon.
If the card has this icon, this card has an ability that can be used during your opponent’s turn, during the Counter step, when your opponent Front Attacks your Character.
Located on the top right hand corner of the card, it is what you check when you do a Trigger Check during your attack. The symbol determines the effect that occurs. Triggers will be explained during the explanation of how the game works.
- Power & Soul
Located at the bottom left hand corner.Indicates Power. Only Characters possess Power and if it does battle with another Character and loses, it will enter a state known as REVERSE (whereby the card is shifted to an upside-down position) and remain on Stage until the end of the Battle Phase.
Located next to Power, it indicates the amount of Soul a Character possesses. It is the willpower of the Character and is an indication of how much the Character can contribute toward victory.
Located at the bottom right hand corner, it indicates the different characteristics of the Character.
This is how the playmat looks like. However, to make things simpler:
- Waiting Room
This area is where cards that have been used is sent.
This zone is where cards that have been removed from play are placed.
The number of cards within this zone indicates the Level the player is at.
The number of cards in this zone indicates the amount of damage the player has taken. The order cannot be switched.
The number of cards in this zone indicates the amount of Stock the player has to pay Costs with. Cards in this zone are always face down.
- Climax zone
The Climax card is placed here when it is played onto the Stage
- Front & Back rows
Tne entire Front and Back row combined is the Stage. The Front row is the row that does battle. There are abilities that some Characters can use to boost the strength of those in the Front row.
How to Play
- Making a Deck
- Both Players must have a deck of exactly 50 cards.
- There can be a maximum of 8 climax cards.
- There can be a maximum of 4 cards with the same name.
- Starting the Game
- Both players are to shuffle their decks and place it face-down in front of them.
- Decide which player goes first by any method.
- Draw 5 cards from the top of the deck.
- Discard any number of cards from your hand and draw the same number of discarded cards from the top of the deck.
- Start the first turn of the game.
- Stand Phase
All Characters on player’s stage in REST are changed to STAND.
- Draw Phase
Draw 1 card from the top of the deck. (This applies to the First turn as well).
- Clock Phase
The player can place a card from his hand into his Clock to draw 2 additional cards. This action can only be performed during the Clock Phase
- Main Phase
Any of the following actions may be performed as many times as desired as long as the conditions are met.
- Play a Character Card
The player can place a character onto the stage in STAND position by paying the cost stated (if any) on the card. If the slot is currently occupied by another character card, the old Character is sent to the Waiting Room while the new Character takes its place.
- Play an Event Card
The player can play an Event card from their hand by paying the cost stated (if any) on the card. Resolve the effects stated on the Event card and send it to the Waiting Room after it is resolved.
- Move a Character Card
The player may shift any of the Character cards they currently control to any slot on the stage. If another Character card is in the new slot, swap the two characters. Their statuses remain unchanged.
- Use an Active Ability () of a Character
An active ability of a Character in play can be activated as many times as desired as long as the conditions are met and the cost is paid.
- Play a Character Card
- Climax Phase
The Player may place a Climax card from his hand onto the Climax Area. This is the only time a Climax card can be played
- Attack Phase
Characters in the Player’s Front row in can attack an opponent and inflict damage to the opponent. Repeat Steps 1 to 5 for each attack and carry out step 6 at the end of the attack phase.
- Attack Declaration Step
The player declares an attack by changing a character in STAND position to REST.. There are 3 types of attacks.
- Front AttackBattle against the opposing Character in front of the attacking Character
- Side AttackAvoid battle against opposing Character to attack the opponent directly. The damage done to the opponent is decreased by the Level of the opposing Character.
- Direct AttackWhen there are no characters directly in front of the attacking Character, the player will declare Direct Attack against the opponent. The Soul damage dealt to the opponent will be increased by 1 when declaring a Direct Attack.
- Trigger Step
The player flips open the top card of his deck and activates the effect of the trigger icon on the top right hand of the card.
- No trigger – No additional effect. Events only have this trigger
- Soul trigger – Add one to the attacking Character.
- Double Soul trigger – Climax only. Add 2 to the attacking Character.
- Whirlwind trigger – Climax only. Adds 1 to the attacking Character and the player may send one of the opponent’s Characters to return back to the opponent’s hand.
- Spark trigger – Climax only. Adds 1 to the attacking Character and the player may deal one damage to the opponent if damage is cancelled. (this damage is cancellable).
- Gold Bar trigger – Climax only. The player adds this card to hand and then may take one card from the top of the Deck and place it into Stock.
- Gold Bag trigger – Climax only. The player may place one card from the top of the Deck to the top of the Stock before putting this card into Stock.
- Gate trigger – Climax only. The player may select one Character from Waiting Room and add it to hand.
- Book trigger – Climax only. The player may draw one card.
After resolving the trigger effect, the card is added to Stock.
- Counter Step
- This step is only done when a Front attack has been declared.
- The player being attacked may play an Event with or use an Active ability of a Character with .
- Only one ability or Event can be played per Counter Step.
- Character Cards played in this step must fulfill the Level restrictions only while an Event Card played during this step must fulfill both Colour and Level restrictions.
- Damage Step
- The player being attacked receives damage equal to the Soul of the attacking card.
- The player receiving damage must flip open the same number of cards as damage taken from the top of his deck one at a time.
- If at any point a Climax is flipped open, all previously opened cards are sent to the Waiting Room along with the Climax.
- All damage taken is placed into Clock in the order that it was flipped open
- Battle Step
If the attacking player wants to declare another attack, repeat from Attack Declaration Step.If not, proceed to Encore Step.
- Encore Step
- The attacking player sends all his characters in REVERSE position to the Waiting Room.
- The attacking player may activate an Encore Ability of a card and return it to REST position in its previous slot after paying the appropriate cost.
- Characters without an Encore Ability can also be returned using the default Auto Ability of all character cards by paying 3 cost from the stock.
- Once the attacking player has completed the Encore Step, the defending player will start to do the same.
Encore can be done regardless of phase as long as the conditions are met. Any card sent to the Waiting Room during any phase may conduct Encore immediately. The Encore phase merely sends REVERSE Characters to the Waiting Room.
- Attack Declaration Step
- End Phase
- Send Climax in play (if any) to the Waiting Room.
- If either player has more than 7 cards in hand, discard until there are only 7 left.
- At the end of this phase, the player’s turn is over and the opponent will start their turn.
- Leveling up
At any point in time, when there are 7 or more cards in the Clock, the player selects a card from the first 7 and places it in the Level Area. The remaining 6 cards are sent to the Waiting room. Any subsequent cards are placed in the Clock.
- Deck Refresh
- Deck Refresh occurs when the Deck runs out of cards
- All the cards in their Waiting Room are shuffled and then placed in the Deck zone as the new deck.
- After the new deck has been placed, the top card of the new deck is placed in the Clock Area . This Refresh damage cannot be cancelled even if a Climax appears.
- If the Deck is refreshed in the midst of any action, complete the action before placing the top card into the Clock Area.
- Winning Condition
- The player which reached Level 4 (4 Cards in Level Area) first will lose the game.
- Any player who has no cards in his Deck and Waiting Room lose immediately.